Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

There was so much publicity surrounding this movie, especially concerning the lawsuits, that I had to see what the fuss was about. I went with my husband and father-in-law and sat there with my downturned mouth, completely prepared to disapprove of the whole thing. I knew it would be politically incorrect, and that it would make fun of people, and that it would make some people look bad.

I laughed until I cried.

There were certainly scenes I disapproved of, and though I sat through some of those with my hand hiding my dropped jaw, I still laughed. We laughed all the way home, remembering one scene or another. (For the record, I'm still laughing days later!) On the other hand, I wouldn't say this film is for everyone. Borat can offend a lot of people. I was completely prepared to be offended, though, so maybe that helped.

Made me laugh: YES.
Made me cry: Only from laughing too hard, though there was one scene that came close!
Made me think: Yes.
Watchability: I'm so glad I saw this, and I'd definitely go see it again!
1-10 rating: 9

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt the exact same way. Rob is the one who wanted to see it and I went in ready to hate it and be completely offended. I laughed hysterically, while Rob sat there stone cold. He thought it was stupid and offensive. I think it did help that you and I had pre-judged and didn't expect to like it. I just never expected it to be so darn funny! I'm chuckling right now just thinking about it!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I'm surprised Rob didn't like it! We want to go see it again. :-)

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was surprised he didn't like it, either. And he is completely shocked that I did like it. I would see it again, too!

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home